When the current NUBAA administration began just over one year ago, our first action was to eliminate dues for the NUBAA membership. The logic was we needed to prove ourselves valuable to gain your trust and worthy enough to ask for your participation. In doing so, we became the first NU club to eliminate dues, and with our subsequent membership drive, we became NU’s largest club based on membership. That was the intent. We knew we needed large membership numbers that could be mobilized if needed. Furthermore we’ve grown our infrastructure to include NUBAA clubs in 26 cities around the country with varying levels of activity.
You may have also noticed that over the past year we have not engaged in a single fundraising drive. Again, we felt we needed to focus on providing value prior to asking for your financial support. We believe our programming from being NU’s most active club during homecoming, to the expanded NUBAA 5K Race to Diversity and the NUBAA Multicity Mixers have offered value to your membership. Of course, we modestly suggest the NUBAA Summit and Salute to Excellence could be the most fantastic event put on by any alumni group within NU.
Have you seen www.nubaa.org? Are you aware of the NUBAA Business Directory? Have you heard of our national partnership with Merrill Lynch? Did you know hundreds of alumni interact with students across multiple disciplines in the NUBAA Student Based Initiatives? It’s not only that. We’re planning the first ever archive of the African-American experience at Northwestern. And we’re preparing for the 50th anniversary of the Bursar’s takeover.
NUBAA has grown up and is fulfilling its promise and legacy. We are proactive. We have a programmatic agenda that was developed for this term that encompasses all of the above and more. We have a business plan meant to grow NUBAA into a million dollar a year entity. Imagine the good we can do with that type of revenue – the scholarship opportunities, the ability to advocate for our causes and support initiatives of interest.
However, to get there requires work, effort and participation. And so we ask you for two considerations. Today, we will focus on your active and proactive participation. NUBAA has openings on its Board, its national committees and within its local groups (we call them MultiCity Groups as a nod to our annual MultiCity Mixers). Please review the following.
Board of Directors
In general our Board structure seeks redundancy with an eye toward both high performance and grooming talent. For positions other than President and Vice-President, we seek to have assistants in place such that both an experienced and younger alum are working together.
- Current Board of Director-level openings:
- Assistant Treasurer (1)
- Assistant Secretary (1)
- Financial Development Director (1 – responsible for corporate and member fundraising)
- Current National Committee openings:
- Programming Chairperson (1) and Programming Committee members (4)
- Membership Chairperson (1) and Membership Committee (4)
- Marketing and Communication Committee (4)
- Anchor Event Committee participation
- Homecoming and Reunions (4)
- NUBAA Summit and Salute to Excellence (4)
- NUBAA 5K Race to Diversity (4)
- NUBAA Multicity Mixers
- National Chairperson (1)
- Committee Members (4)
- Involvement with your local NUBAA Group (unlimited; see below)
- National MultiCity Group Co-Coordinators (2)
- Student Based Initiatives committee:
- The NUBAA SBIs are direct efforts to have alumni interact with students, providing mentorship, job opportunities and other activities. Committee members and volunteers are need for all the SBI (no limit)
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Task Forces, et al
- NUBAA Business Directory National Coordinator (1)
- NUBAA Archive Committee (5)
- 2018 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the Bursar Takeover
The NUBAA MultiCity Groups
In case you didn’t know, we’re active all over the country. Here is a listing of our MultiCity Groups. Get active locally and let’s make things happen from wherever you are! Don’t see your city and know you have Wildcats in the area? Start a group. Just let us know.
- Arlington/Northern Virginia
- Columbia, S.C./East Georgia
- Columbus (OH)
- Dallas/Fort Worth
- Los Angeles
- Miami/S. Florida
- Minneapolis/St. Paul
- New Orleans
- San Francisco/Oakland
- St. Louis
As you can see, NUBAA is a very active organization. We need your involvement or whatever level you care to donate it. Join a NUBAA committee nationally or get involved with a club locally. To do so fill out the general interest contact form below.
Thank you NUBAA Nation Wildcats!