You will be pleased to know that NUBAA and Northwestern University have officially agreed to the establishment of The NUBAA Archives at Northwestern University. Our initial effort, once completed, will become unparalleled among non-HBCUs in the United States. We are extremely proud to fill this void within the University’s history, and rest assured, The NUBAA Archives will be a robust and full accounting of the approximately 150 history of the Black experience at NU, and it is another huge step toward capturing, solidifying and owning our history and heritage.
Special thanks go to the following:
- NUBAA Archives Chairperson and Co-Founder Lauren Lowery for the vision and work that has brought us to this point;
- University Librarian Sarah Pritchard and University Archivist Kevin Leonard for rounding out the proposal in a way that maintains the high standards of Northwestern while respecting our priorities;
- Provost Daniel Linzer and Associate Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Jabbar Bennett for supporting and approving the project; and
- The NUBAA Archives committee of Kathleen Bethel, Sherwin Bryant, Julius Hall, Kevin Leonard, Erik Ponder, Dino Robinson and Charles Whitaker for years bring this effort to fruition.
You will be hearing quite a bit in the upcoming months about activities leading up to the launch of The NUBAA Archives in January, 2018. For now, we want you to think about your stories and treasures. We will be making many calls for your involvement and support. Over time, you will also see NUBAA.org modified to accommodate a digital archive for your ongoing viewing pleasure! Stay tuned. There’s much more to come. Today’s a very good day to be #ProudlyPurple! #GoCats!
- The NUBAA Archives will research, organize, disseminate, publicize, exhibit and archive the history students, faculty and prominent staff of African descent at Northwestern University from its inception to today.
- The NUBAA Archives will implement a comprehensive survey of Northwestern schools/departments, collections held by community organizations and independent historians to compile the history of Blacks at Northwestern.
- The NUBAA Archives honors the pioneers who paved the way for scholars of color to matriculate through Northwestern University.
Jeffrey Sterling, MD, WCAS, 1985
President, Northwestern University Black Alumni Association