I wish you could have joined us Saturday. For the approximately 300 of you that did, I hope you took the time to take in exactly all that was going on.
- The sheer unbridled joy of the kids was a joy to behold.
- Willie the Wildcat was in rare form. There has to be some swirl in his DNA.
- There were high schoolers there. I personally got to speak to parents about the benefits and challenges of a Northwestern education and experience. To see the look in their eyes…
- We had undergraduate students come out. It is always a special joy to observe them observing us. Yes FMO, it gets much better on the other side.
- There were fellow Wildcat alumni present from NAA, LANU, NUGALA, NUMBALUMS, NU-A5 and SAE, as well as a contingent from the athletic community (thanks for the donation, CAG!). No one looked uncomfortable. It was a special treat to see greater NU assembled around a NUBAA event instead of the other way around. How often can you remember such a thing happening?
- The NUBAA 5K is an official event on the Chicago Area Runner Association (CARA) calendar. It was really cool seeing the participants from Chicago enjoying our beautiful campus.
- If you don’t know who Sheri Prentiss is, please Google her. Once again, she displayed her dynamism as our MC. If you missed her, you can catch her again as this year’s NU graduation speaker.
Special thanks go out to the Northwestern Alumni Association, especially Michele Cahill for providing logistical support and guidance. Additionally we acknowledge and thank our signature sponsor Merrill Lynch for their ongoing financial support.
Of course our greatest thanks and congratulations go to the 5K committee under the leadership of Scott Montgomery, now having supported this event from 10 years, and Domonique McCord, who was brilliant in her first year of service.
More than anything, I hope you appreciate the broad impact NUBAA is having in its efforts. If you can’t see the growing impact and changing dynamic based on these, you really haven’t been paying attention. Please continue your participation in our events, but if you can, please get formally involved in NUBAA in whatever way you can. Lives are being changed before our eyes.